1. The trade part of Lethal Zone has fully been taken over by FoG (Fortress of Gamers) and this site can no longer be used to make appeals. If you feel that your tag is unjust, please file an appeal over at https://f-o-g.eu.trade instead.

Steam Guard required for trading items!

Discussion in 'Trade Chat' started by 300_Angry_Kittens, Nov 20, 2012.

1. 300_Angry_Kittens

300_Angry_Kittens Registered

Just seen this at the top of the window when I did a trade:

Can only be a step in the right direction towards reducing scamming.

2. Killvion

Killvion Registered

I guess that's nice to avoid hacked accounts being used for scamming. Don't really see much other use.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hmmm it's very useful, but it won't reduce all scams ofcourse. But good that valve is doing this and it's a great step in the right direction. But it's impossible to avoid all scams, because there will be always new tricks.

Like what I read on the steamrep forums that credit card fraud with keys is hot at the moment by russian scammers. But thats also really difficult to trace which keys are "fraud" keys and which not.

4. DataStorm

DataStorm Registered

A mail I just ago send to Valve:

Hi,

I'm DataStorm Admin on SteamRep. I saw just ago news on that SteamGuard is now required to be active for a 15 day period.

I dare to propose a small "change" to that:

That to trade items, the computer on which its done must also have that account's steamguard for 15 days active.

With a hijack, the hijacker then has to wait 15 days before (s)he can trade it. With an additional rule that the owner of a account has to file a ticket within a week to regain his account to be eligible to get his items back.

Hijacks will be way less lucrative I'd imagine.

Off course, clearing the steamguard activations on giving a account back would be handy, for otherwise the hijackers activation would last, and with another attempt after 2 weeks would be able to trade.

Greets,

DataStorm

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah thats what they forget, we don't want to wait 1 or 2 weeks before we could trade again if the owner has their account back. But now they are aware of it! Good job!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can someone explain me , how is this going to stop rusian scammers or hijackers ?

I just read steam's FAQ and it says Steam guard is enabled by default on all steam accounts.
    so if someone manages to hijack one's account , he will be able to trade the way he wants since the original owner already had steam guard enabled for a long time.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

7. DataStorm

DataStorm Registered

No idea, but it says to me that a high enough percentage of traders don't have SteamGuard enabled to invoke this action by Valve... also, with hijacks of accounts that didn't enable it, hijackers cannot trade the items... wow... I would propose to valve that a activation of SteamGuard on a specific machine must ALSO be 15 days at least before on that computer can be traded.

Steamguard ONLY gets enabled by default if one adds a verified email address. after that, one can disable steamguard.
    People who don't use steamguard (my guess).
    - on their idle accounts
    - scammers on their (many) alts.
    - hijackers on their alts.

Tbh, I dont think the measure will help much, too many mail services. You can have 500 aliases on your yahoo account, and unlimited on GMail. Only if one did more to lock it up. But meh. I didn't recieve an answer on my mail to lock it better off.

see here: <a class="postlink" href="http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/new-trading-policy.14580/#post-48860" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/new- ... post-48860</a>