1. The trade part of Lethal Zone has fully been taken over by FoG (Fortress of Gamers) and this site can no longer be used to make appeals. If you feel that your tag is unjust, please file an appeal over at https://f-o-g.eu.trade instead.

How-To avoid getting hacked/hijacked

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by Chride2k8, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Chride2k8

Chride2k8 Not so custom title

What does hacked or hijacked even mean?
    - When some one takes over your account and basically steals your items/tradable games and spreads for example "phishing links" to your friends.

Phishing link, what is that?
    - Basically that's a link to a page that usually looks like a steam page that for example says that you can get any game for free if you just log in. When you fill in your details and hit "sign in" nothing happens that you can see but all your details will get sent to the "hacker" who then logs on to your account and changes the password and mostly also the contact e-mail. This will result in that you get locked out from your account completely.

Ok, but what can I do if that happens?
    - When that happens write to Steam Support, tell them exactly who sent the link and what happened (preferably also add the link to the fake page). Also include a comment that you would like to get all you lost items (if any) returned. Also if you have the same password on several places (same as the one to steam) change them as soon as possible and try to warn your friends somehow.
    Important: Steam Support only return items once so if you get "hacked" more than once then you are on your own!

How can I avoid getting hacked/hijacked?
    - A good general don't use the same password in your e-mail and in Steam or any other two place for that matter, always use different passwords on all sites. If you trade with PayPal you should use different e-mails for Steam and PayPal, this helps to keep your account details harder to find. Some e-mail providers also give the option of a secure log-in which means that to log in to your mail you will first have to enter a password, then you get a confirmation code to your phone and then with that you get to your e-mail.
    Also, remember to keep your computer clean, don't install anything that you are even slightly unsure of. There are loads of fake programs and pages that promises free games, they look legit and also simulate the Steam Guard function but STEAM DOESN'T GIVE ANY GAMES AWAY FOR FREE!

Links:
    Steam Support - <a class="postlink" href="https://support.steampowered.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://support.steampowered.com</a>

Below is a screenshot of a fake Steam page. Do not fall for these kind of things, they promise free games and say that it's a limited offer or what ever but it's not real!
    [​IMG]

P.S As always if there is something that I have missed or forgot then please leave a comment below and I'll fix it :)

2. DataStorm

DataStorm Registered

There are phishing links out there that simulate the entire setup with the steamguard code, connected to a bot.
    it lets you enter login name, password, comes up with the steamguard box asking for that, the bot tries to login into the account, and triggers the steamguard code to be send, and uses it to lock out the victim. It then trades all the crap away, hijacked within 1-2 minutes.

3. Chride2k8

Chride2k8 Not so custom title

That's a new one for me D:

Any idea where it comes from as in certain pages or?